RollerFit Retreat 2022
RollerFit Retreat 2022
RollerFit Retreat organisers acknowledge the Darkinjung people as Traditional Custodians of the land on which this event takes place. We pay respects to Elders past, present and future, and recognise the Darkinjung peoples continuing connection and contribution to this land and waters.
RollerFit Retreat is a roller dance and rhythm skating focused weekend on the Central Coast / Darkinjung Country. Get your groove on with local, interstate and international coaches bringing all the vibes and roller dance knowledge across 27 – 28 August 2022. We couldn’t forget the park skaters, so there’s also a roaming coached session at Slam Factory!
Tickets and Booking Info
RollerFit Retreat is a little different to other events and will use a pay-per-class system so you can skate as much or as little as you like.
All classes run for 50 minutes and cost the same, except for the Slam Factory session. If you plan on skating up a storm you can purchase a class pass for the weekend to make each class that bit cheaper.
To book, hit the “Book Now” tab. For step-by-step details on how to book click here. Keep scrolling for the RollerFit Retreat timetable and detailed class descriptions.
Single class – $28
3 class pass – $78
5 class pass – $120
7 class pass – $154
10 class pass – $200
Slam Factory Roaming Coaching (3hrs) – $40
We have scoured the Central Coast to make sure you are rolling on the best floors and indoor park on offer. All of our venues have premium skate surfaces suited to a range of skate styles.
RollerFit Studio and Skate Shop
The RollerFit Studio and Skate Shop is the home of RollerFit HQ and our shop! The studio has polished concrete floor with mirrors. We also have our shop stocked up with all the skating goodies and some fun photo spots worthy of an Insta post or two.
Limited parking is available within the Erina Plaza complex, however there is plenty of parking in surrounding retail areas such as Harvey Norman and along Karalta Lane. All parking in this area is free although some time limits may apply. Cafes, restaurants, grocery stores and 7/11 are within walking distance of the studio so you can make sure you and your crew are well fed and watered to roll all day.
Milk Studios is home to some of the Coasts best dancers and features two studios with wooden floor and mirrors. Both studios can comfortably fit 16 – 20 skaters per class. Milk Studios is located across from RollerFit Studio and Skate Shop and has the same parking, transport and other facilities.
Slam Factory is the Central Coast’s premiere indoor skatepark. It features wooden ramps that are great for learning, and a street section that transitions from wood to concrete. During the scheduled event time we will have exclusive use of this venue. Free parking is available in streets surrounding Slam Factory. Tuggerah Station is the closest station and is a 25 minute walk from the venue with limited buses transiting around the area near the venue.
We’ve put together a line-up of international, interstate and local coaches. Find out more about each of the RollerFit Retreat coaches and make sure you give them a follow.
Booked in for a few RollerFit Retreat classes, now what? Well, when you come to the main dance venues you’ll need to register with our team at the RollerFit Studio and Skate Shop.
Registration will open on Friday 26 August from midday to 6:00pm. Come along early, register, check out RollerFit’s first ever personal venue and do a little shopping. Some of our coaches will also be there to say hi, hang out and answer any of your questions. If we can’t tempt you to take a long weekend, registrations will also be open Saturday 27 August from 11:00am.
If you are only attending the skatepark meetup at Slam Factory registration is not necessary. We will have a staff member at Slam Factory to check your name off then you’re free to roll and learn from some of the Chuffed Crew, RollerFit Team and Slam Factory’s resident rollerskating coach.
Before you choose and book your classes please read the full class descriptions and required knowledge for each class. You can find all of this info in the downloadable timetable below. Keep in mind that your general skating skill level does not necessarily correspond to your dance skill level, so make sure you read all the information in this document to find the classes that are most suitable to your skill level and knowledge of both roller dance and RollerFit Development skills.
How to Get to RollerFit Retreat / Around the Central Coast
Roller Retreat is taking place on Darkinjung Country / Central Coast NSW. The venues for the event are about a 1 hour and 30 minute drive from Sydney and a 1 hour drive from Newcastle.
We recommend driving, carpooling or hiring a car for RollerFit Retreat, especially if you plan to attend sessions at Slam Factory and the dance studios at Erina. It’s approximately a 25-30 minute drive between these locations. The Central Coast does not have many regularly operating Ubers and public transport routes are lengthy and sporadic. If you do not have access to a car we recommend using Central Coast Taxis.
If public transport is the go for you, the closest train station to Slam Factory is Tuggerah Station and the nearest station to the dance venues at Erina is Gosford Station. Buses are available from both these stations or at nearby shopping centres.
Where to Stay
Coming to Darkinjung Country for the whole weekend? We have the lowdown on the best places to stay to make sure you’re close to the action.
Terrigal is a popular holiday destination next to a calm bay, and has the best nightlife and restaurants on the Central Coast. There are loads of hotels, serviced apartments and AirBnb’s in the area. Terrigal is about a 10 minute drive to the Rollerfit Studio and Skate Shop and Milk Studios, and a 25-30 minute drive to Slam Factory. There is a good local skatepark (Banjo Skatepark) within walking/skating distance.
Want to soak up some small coastal town vibes, then Avoca is for you. Add good surf, small cafes and some seriously good fish and chips on top and you’ve got yourself a nice chill time. Avoca is a 15-20 minute drive to Rollerfit Studio and Skate Shop and Milk Studios, and a 35-40 minute drive to Slam Factory. We recommend looking for some Airbnb’s in the area and there are also some small hotels in Avoca.
Wamberal and Forresters Beach, locally known as Wambie and Forries, keep the coastal town vibes going strong with good beaches and cafes but with a slightly more suburban twist. These suburbs are about a 15-20 minute drive to the Rollerfit Studio and Skate Shop and Milk Studios, and a 30-35 minute drive to Slam Factory. As a bonus its only a 10-15 minute drive to Bato Yard skatepark. In Forresters Beach you can get your accommodation, food and drinks fix in one place at the freshly renovated and revamped The Quarters. There’s also a bunch of Airbnb or Stayz options in both Forresters Beach and Wamberal.
If those coastal towns don’t quite do it for you or maybe you’ve left it to the last minute to get a bed for the weekend, we aren’t out of recommendations just yet.
- Gosford is considered the city of the Central Coast and is about a 10-15 minute drive to the Rollerfit Studio and Skate Shop and Milk Studios, and a 40-45 minute drive to Slam Factory. If you’re going to stay in Gosford we recommend keeping your accommodation as close to Brisbane Water / Gosford waterfront as possible for the great scenery and the local vibes.
- East Bateau Bay is another small coastal suburb option that’s not too far from all the venues and is close to Bato Yard. You’ll be able to find nice beaches and some good food around here.
- If you’re on a budget Blue Lagoon Beach Resort has great camping and cabin options plus a quiet little beach.
Where to Visit
Darkinjung Country / the Central Coast is a stretch of suburbs along a beautiful coastline, but this doesn’t mean that it’s all sleepy town vibes and suburbia. The Central Coast has a vibrant café and restaurant scene, good skate spots and some cool bars. To make your RollerFit Retreat even better, we’ve compiled the local RollerFit team’s favourite spots to eat, drink and play on the Central Coast. If you’re planning on hitting up some of these spots just keep in mind that some of the coastal places open early,like 6-7am early and shut up around 8:30pm. Just make sure you google some opening hours before making that important decision on where to get your dinner or where you’re gonna get loose with your skate crew.
- Four Hands Tapas and Pizza Bar – Cocktails, tapas and pizza, oh my!
- Hoi An – Seriously yummy Thai and Vietnamese food. Generous portions will keep you rolling all weekend.
- Sea Bay – Dumplings and noodles galore. It’s also BYO and right near a bottle-o. Nice one!
- Thaiger Temple – Red lights and good Thai food. You might need to book in advance here.
- Bellyfish – Great brekky.
- Lagune Artisan Pizza Co – Eat-in or takeaway some scrumptious pizza.
- Guzman y Gomez Fountain Plaza – Easy feed that’s walking distance from dance studios.
- Salt and Pig Deli – Walking distance from dance studios for massive sandwiches, pastries and good coffee.
- Bamboo Buddha – Great vegan food
- 7/11 – Handy place to stock up on drinks and snacks during the day because it’s just around the corner from the dance studios.
- Salt and Pig Deli – Erina (walking distance from the studios)
- Coffee Port – Terrigal
- Freestate Cafe – Terrigal
- Avoca Beach Surf Clube – Avoca
- Cheeky Charlie’s – Erina
- Cabana – Copacabana
- Cafe Mocha – East Bateau Bay
- Green Tangerine – Long Jetty
- Studio Lane – Erina
- Void Bar in Terrigal – A go-to spot for the local RollerFit to have their “ business meetings”. Void has a killer lineup of craft beers, funky cocktails, pool tables and video games. The vibes here are strong.
- Pocket Bar in Terrigal – Killer cocktails menu and tasty as food and snacks. If you plan on making this your spot for an arvo/night we suggest calling ahead and trying to book a spot if you’re taking the whole crew along.
- Joker and Thief in Terrigal – Another local spot with a seriously good cocktail list and food. If you’re a fan of Espresso Martinis give yourself a tasting of Joker and Thief’s martini menu.
- The Savoy in Long Jetty – Funky bar in the space that once was the Central Coast’s first picture theatre.
- Terrigal Pub and the Terrigal Beach House (a.k.a The Beery) – These spots get an honourable mention but beware, these places can get rowdy after dark.
- Erina Fair has multiple options – walking distance from dance studios
- Ritchies IGA Plus Erina – walking distance from dance studios
- Chans Asian Supermarket Erina – walking distance from dance studios
- SPAR Express Terrigal
- Bateau Bay Square has multiple options
- Bato Yard Skatepark
- Banjo’s Skatepark
- Slam Factory
- Copacabana Skatepark
- Berkeley Vale Skatepark
- Narara Skatepark
- The Entrance Skatepark – a bit old and crunchy but has good views
- Kincumber to Davistown waterfront path skate
- Pat Morley Basketball Court – good dance spot
- Long Jetty bike path – a scenic trail skate, but make sure you wear your gummiest outdoor wheels for this one.
- If you like vintage goodies, good food, and coffee head to Long Jetty. You’ll find great cafes and local shops. Our favourite spots are around the intersection of The Entrance Rd and Thompson St.
- Darkinjung Country has some spectacular scenery. Maybe you and the crew might want to see some coastal sights. You can try Bouddi National Park or the Coast walking track through Wyrrabalong National Park.
- For more recommendations have a look over here and here.
RollerFit Retreat is a pay-per-class event. Classes and class passes can be booked through the RollerFit Retreat bookwhen page. Bookings will go live at midday on 24 June for RollerFit Members. General public bookings open June 27. Class bookings will remain open until the class time unless sold out prior.
The dance venues have either polished concrete or wooden floors. We recommend hard, small wheels for dance. Hybrid wheels or small outdoor wheels will also be suitable but may have a little bit of grip on the polished concrete surface.
Slam Factory is an indoor park with a mix of timber and concrete surfaces. If you are not experienced in park skating a small outdoor wheel or hybrid wheel may be best as the ramps can feel a bit slippery to those new to this park. If you have park skating experience go for hard wheels in the 99a + range.
To skate in our ramp and dance classes you need to be able to comfortably skate forward and backwards and stop. If you’re still working on those skills, perhaps you can try one of our regular Rollerfit Skill Development classes. We’d love to meet you and show you the basics at one of our weekly classes to ignite your love of skating.
For intermediate and advanced classes, you should be very comfortable with the building blocks you need to perform the skills in each class. Make sure you read the skill level requirements and assumed knowledge in the downloadable timetable for RollerFit Retreat.
The decision about whether to wear protective gear is up to each individual skater. However, we do encourage protective gear be worn during RollerFit Retreat. Helmets and knee pads will be required for entry to the skatepark meetup at Slam Factory. We sell all types of protective equipment, check out our online store or pop into the RollerFit Studio and Skate Shop during the event.
RollerFit Retreat is a pay-per-class event. All classes must be booked online through the bookwhen platform. Classes will remain open for booking up until the commencement time for classes unless sold out prior.
Potentially! Keep an eye on the event page, RollerFit socials as well as the individual coaches’ socials for any ‘sideshow’ announcements!
Due to the intimate nature of the venues we are hosting at there will be no spectators allowed in the dance venues as there is no standing room or extra seating available. Guardians, family or friends are able to attend Slam Factory during the skatepark meetup but must remain in the spectator area.